8/1/14

Happy Birthday, Jacob!

It's hard to believe that 26 years have gone by since my son, Jacob, was born. I remember it was a really hot summer (that must be why he likes the heat to this day!) and I developed complications that required him to be born by emergency C-section almost 2 months early. 2 pounds, 10 ounces. He was the tiniest baby I had ever seen. And about 6 weeks later, he came home weighing a whopping 4 1/2 pounds!

Jacob's birth started a whole new journey for us as a family. With one daughter (at that time 7 years old), we had a lot to learn about raising a special needs child; in Jacob's case, one with cerebral palsy. We learned about things that we had never even considered before: leg braces, surgeries, therapy, IEPs, wheelchairs and so much more. We didn't always get it right but we always tried our hardest to provide what would serve Jacob's needs best.

Age 7 - so handsome!

But the one thing we never struggled with was loving our little guy with our whole hearts. Not one day did I stop and think I would have been better without this child in my life. In fact, often I think of how grateful I am and thank God for the blessing that Jacob is in my life. In all of our lives. Because of Jacob, we have learned more about patience, perseverance, advocating, struggling and celebrating. And Star Wars. We've learned a lot about Star Wars.

My Jedi at a Star Wars Convention

I could gush forever about this fantastic young man that I am proud to call my son. But he'll just say "Oh Mom - can you stop now?" Yes, Jacob, I will not embarrass you any more on this blog (at least for today) but know that I will never stop loving you and being there for you. You (and your sister - yes, you have to share) give meaning to my life. You hold a very large piece of my heart forever and always. I wish you a very happy 26th birthday and I hope you have a remarkable year ahead!

Hugs,
Mom
Me and my favorite son!

 photo post-sig4.png

2 comments:

Vicki Wizniuk said...

Happy belated birthday, Jacob!

Unknown said...

A loving tribute! I have a 15 year old grandson with Down's Syndrome and, like you, I thank the good. Lord for blessing us with this amazing young man.
Happy birthday, Jacob. And may you have many, many more.