9/2/12

A Buggy Week

This past week, I had a couple of bug encounters that I feel the need to share. I'm not sure why but here you go.

One morning, as I was staggering to the living room (I'm not a morning person. I do not jump out of bed and exuberantly skip through the house. I stagger). (And without my glasses). (Yes, I'm old.) I spotted a bug on the living room floor. Not just any bug. A centipede. I shudder just thinking about it. Anyhow, I am not the bug killer in my house. But I can maim them pretty well. So the maiming weapon of choice was a thick phone book. Which I threw with very good aim to land directly on top of the bug. But that wasn't enough. I then (after putting on shoes), stood on top the phone book and stomped and twisted that bug into oblivion. Yes, I was pretty sure he was a mutilated mess. So much so that I didn't want to look so I left the phone book lay on the floor until evening when the hubby returned home from work.

* I have to interrupt here to mention that I had to point out to the aforementioned husband that a phone book was lying in the middle of the living room and did he not think that was odd? It's not like a normal piece of decor, or anything.

So I told him about the million-legger than I had smashed with the book and asked him to very carefully move the book and clean up the remains. He slowly moved the book, paper towel in hand and announced there was no bug. No bug? Crap! How on earth did it manage to survive my onslaught? And then he said - "But there is a twig here - you managed to kill a stick".

Oh.

Well that was one dead stick, I can assure you! Send a message to sticks everywhere, I will not tolerate you in my living room!!

In other news and speaking of sticks, I have adopted the following bug as my office pet (and this one is really a real bug). Beware - if bugs freak you out, you may want to shield your eyes:


This is one of two praying mantises (mantisi?) that have decided they like hanging around my office window and bushes. I am guessing one is a male and one is a female. I am naming them Quinn and Finn (I'm a GLEE fan) and I am just waiting to see if Quinn eats Finn. That would make an awesome blog story, don't you think?

That's all for now. I have been out in the fresh air most of the day today and now need sleep. I will share more fascinating stories soon.

Bugging out -

Photobucket

1 comments:

Mary Eisen said...

As soon as I read that you had to put your shoes on to stand on that phone book - I do the SAME thing!