9/26/10

Masking at Corrosive

This week at Corrosive Challenges, we are challenging you to try your hand at masking. For those who have never done masking, it's pretty easy. Let me show you my card and explain the steps:


Big Ideas - Masking:

* Start with the image you want in the foreground. In this case, the car is the prominent image and the teddy is tucked inside, making it a layer behind the car. Stamp the foreground image.
* Now stamp the foreground image again on a thin piece of paper, like printer paper. I like to use a sticky note so there is a little easily removable adhesive on the paper. Cut the image out and lay it over the image you stamped in the previous step. This is your mask. In this case, I stamped the car onto a post it note and cut it out, also cutting away the inside of the window to create a space for the bear.
* Now use your second image and stamp where you see fit. The mask will hide a portion of the image, which is what you want! In this case, the mask hid the lower half of the teddy so you can just see his face in the window.
* Remove the mask and you're ready to move on!

For this card, I did stamp the car a second time on a sheet of cardstock that was stamped with a woodgrain background stamp and then cut a section out and paper pieced it to the car. This step, had I thought of it right from the beginning, could have saved myself the masking step but it was an after thought so I masked and stamped first.

Car image and papers from Papertrey Ink. Teddy bear image from Taylored Expressions. Buttons from Wal-Mart.

I hope you enjoyed today's masking info and are going to give it a try this week for the Corrosive Challenge. If you need more information, Google "masking" and I know you will find a wealth of great tutorials.

Have a creative week!

Photobucket

2 comments:

carole (TruCarMa) said...

Super cute, Mary -- a woody beetle! I need one of those! BTW, I am just cleaning out my email inbox. I found a sweet message from you about my blog and son, Carter, who has CP. You mentioned your son, and how wonderful he is, and it really warmed my heart. I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier (must have fallen through my vast cracks...), but I wanted you to know you gave me warm fuzzies this a.m.!

Janet said...

very cute card!:)